The best part of this whole thing was I sent Rachelle the amount of pieces she needed to cut and how small and everything. Each square was 12", but she thought the pattern was just one big square so she didn't understand you had to make a lot of little squares. I thought she had never pieced a quilt before, but it turns out she just didn't read the pattern. It was definitely a good laugh.
The week after Conference (the weekend they came down, with the accompanying blogs about those weekends - it was so hard not to say why they were there), Rachelle and I spent two days piecing the quilt and putting it together so I could quilt it after they left. We were up pretty late at night and then up early the next morning just so we could get the whole thing pieced before they had to go home.
After they left, I borrowed a couple C clamps and a few pieces of a quilting frame from our friends to quilt it. I ended up using TV trays to stand it up since the stands they had went missing. It was definitely a ghetto looking quilt lol.
Since it was from all of us, I decided to embroider-quilt all of our names into the centers of six of the squares. I think it made it more personal and added that added touch to the quilt it needed. And since there were the few green squares in the middle to offset the peach, I thought it would be perfect to do the names in there. They went in this order:
Blake ---- LOVE ---- Darryl
The row of hearts
So, for the next month and a half I worked on the quilt (more off than on) and finally got it done and took it to Rachelle to bind and finish.
I have never realized how hard it is to do a quilt when you have a child. Everytime I would start to work on it, I swear Glade would know and think of something she needed. I should have finished it pretty fast, but she just didn't let me.
I have wanted to post this since I started, but I couldn't since it was a surprise. I am so excited I can tell everyone now!! :)
Here are some pics of how it turned out.
The finished quilt