Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Night Frights

Ever since we brought Glade home from the NICU, she has had night frights, sometimes multiple times each night.

When I was nursing, they were easy to remedy. She would eat and fall right back to sleep. After I weaned, she still had her binky until she was 17 months, so she would suck on it and fall right back to sleep.

Ever since we cut her binkies up, it has been all sorts of awful.

She would wake up scared to death and sometimes it would take 3 hours to calm her down and get her to go back to sleep. It happened more if she was at someone else's house and not in her bed.

Ever since I was laid off in July, they have been getting fewer and farther between. She had a couple about 3 weeks ago, but we hadn't seen them since. We thought we finally had it beaten.

Today, during her nap, she woke up and was absolutely terrified. She kept screaming "mommy don't" and then she would cry for me. Blake ran and picked her up and she kept crying, so I took her and cradled her.

After a few minutes she calmed down and went back to sleep.

Maybe me being home has helped, but I am so scared that me working is what caused her frights. I wish there was some way to make it so she doesn't have any. Most days she is so scared of going to sleep that she stays awake as long as she can and then crashes from exhaustion.

And just because I know the question will be asked, no she doesn't watch rated R movies or rated M games. We don't play or watch them in front of her.

If there are any pointers we could use to help, that would be great.

1 comment:

  1. How awful for all of you! Every once in awhile my older daughter (2-1/2) will have night frights, and they are always so disconcerting. I wish I had some suggestions - have you tried talking with her pediatrician?

    ReplyDelete